Monday 6 October 2014

Last week, I shared  this photograph with you of some of my vintage lace/fabric purchases from the textile show that I went to in Leicester.


This week, I found some time to use some of it. I wanted to try and keep this project quite neutral which is not always easy for me to do. Anyways, I decided to make a patchwork stylee/hanging thingy. It's not that big and when I held it up against a wall, it looked a tad lost so I put my thinking cap on for a while. My first thought was to mount it on something bigger but then I decided that it might look quite cool hanging inside a box. I had a lid to a Tim Holtz Configurations box left over from a previous project which turned out to be the perfect size. After painting it with Stone Fresco Finish paint, adding some lace and lining it with burlap, I decided that I really quite like it now.




Moving on to my next project....... following a visit to Art Van Go recently and chatting to an old friend who showed me some artwork in their gallery of some rusted fabric, I decided that I should have another go at this as I really love the rusty look. I dabbled with it when I was doing my City and Guilds course last year but haven't really done any since. Here's my pile of rusty fabric, I hope to be back in a day or so to show you what I've done with them.



8 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

NICE work, as always!

massofhair said...

Beautiful work Lin, must admit am liking the rusty fabric a LOT and i don't really do rust.
Great to see how you use your fabrics and bits.

Looking forward to seeing your rusty creations very soon:-) xxx

craftimamma said...

Beautiful little hanging piece Lin and I love neutrals so well done keeping to them, lol! The little box frames it perfectly. I can't wait to see what you do with those fab rusted pieces of fabric.

Speaking of rusted things I have to mention a little conversation OH and I had last week when travelling through Chesterfield on our way to Buxton. As we enter Chesterfield we have to negotiate what's known as Hornsbridge Roundabout and they've been carrying out some work right in the middle for a while now. When the traffic lights stopped us facing the centre island we were looking at a fabulous 'sculpture' which is obviously a stylised flower. The stamens in the middle are really shiny stainless steel looking but the huge outer petals are very rusted metal. My reaction was 'Oh that's gorgeous!' whereupon my OH looked sideways at me and said 'Well I hope they're going to polish the thing up before they leave it!!!'. I said only a crafter can appreciate the contrast between the shiny bits in the middle and the mega rusty outside and we rust metal on purpose. He obviously thinks we're totally barmy!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

yoursartfully said...

That's really funny Lesley, I bet those flowers were fabulous too. Xxx

Helen said...

I am laughing at Lesley's comment!! She'd have loved the rusty sign post we saw in Port Sunny! Anyhow, fabulous makes as ever, even the rusty fabric in the waiting is gorgeous! Can't wait to see what comes next with it.

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Lin,
Love it! All the shabby goodness in this little wall hanging 'thingy' makes me salivate.
Smiles:)
Sue

Ruth said...

So beautiful Lin, adore the vintage lace purchases, the finished hanging is simply exquisite. Ruth x

Kirsten said...

Beautiful!