Wednesday 22 October 2014

Rusty Fabric

Remember that pile of rusty fabric from my last blog post????? Well, I have been using them along with some embossed metal to create collages. This first one is still a work in progress. It was my first attempt and I thought it would be a clever idea to assemble the collage on some self adhesive felt so that when I come to frame the piece, I could simply rip the backing paper away and stick it down. I have since discovered that this was not one of my best ideas as it really is quite tricky to stitch through all those layers of fabric, metal, felt, adhesive and backing paper. I will come back to it in a day or so and finish the stitching, I just need to give my sore fingers a rest for a day or so!!!!


I think this one is my favourite so far, using my Poppy Heads stencil PS004 as the design for the focal point of this piece.


The third and final sample is much larger than the two previous ones and involved a lot more hand stitching which I thoroughly enjoyed. I find it really quite relaxing, my only problem is knowing when to stop...I could quite easily embellished the whole piece with stitching!!!


I have thoroughly enjoyed working on something totally different......in fact, watch this space....I may well be teaching projects like these next year.


18 comments:

Lin said...

wow Lin these are gorgeous!! mixing fabric with metsl very clever..love the natural colours xx

Anonymous said...

Love your collages.
They are rustic, feminine and so beautiful!
Margriet

Carol Rigby said...

These are beautiful. I have some metal sheets which I bought a while ago. I keep meaning to do something with them. You have inspired me.

judith@poppy cottage said...

Gorgeous Lin, beautiful projects. Love the layers. I'll look out for the classes ;) Judith xx

massofhair said...

Just been watching a Colouricious clip of a video using copper sheets in fibre art, looks wonderful to use.

AMAZING Art piece Lin, love all the colours, they are so effective and i do love your poppy heads focal piece it is sensational.

Looking forward to my 4 videos arriving so i can get started, my 2015 is the year of experimenting with fibres in Art:-) xxx

sally said...

My fingers are itching to feel all those wonderful layers & textures :-)

Sally

Helen said...

What fantastic stitching and gorgeous rusted fabrics, I love these.

Deborah Wainwright said...

Lin you are so inspirational. Love your fabric projects and I've order some vintage kits from Janet Humphrey thanks for sharingxx

Kirsten said...

They are completely gorgeous.

Jacqui Chimes said...

Beautiful

Cocofolies said...

That's very gorgeous Lin, thanks for sharing Coco x

Cocofolies said...

Thinking about something... By the way, maybe you would be pleased to see what I did with your stencil, the one you used here? If yes, follow the link http://scrapcocofolies.canalblog.com/archives/2014/09/07/30542913.html and look at my last piece of furniture. Hope you will like as I love it! :) xx

Etsuko said...

Wow! These are absolutely gorgeous and beautiful Lin!! Stitching is wonderful work. I love them and really inspired xxx

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

What lovely pieces Lin!

Unknown said...

Hi Lin, just discovered your blog,such lovely,work! Could you please tell me what metal you use for your rusted metal? I also like the plant shapes that you have used, could you please tell me what the die was and also the embossing file? Have signed up to follow, thanks so much, Kim

yoursartfully said...

Hi Kim, the metal I used is copper but I didn't use any dies. The poppy heads are from one of the stencils I designed for PaperArtsy and the larger shape is a stencil by Green Pepper Press. The mould I used is a rubbing plate from Art Van Go, so it's not an embossing folder at all.

Hope this helps, Lin

Anonymous said...

Love your art! I saw this on pinterest so I guess I need to check out your blog to discover more about the rusty fabric idea.

ruth said...

Amazing and gorgeous. Love your work.