I had an idea in my head that I wanted to combine Jo's new paints with the Chartreuse from my set of paints.
It worked well in my head but sometimes things don't go entirely according to plan.
I masked off the petals on one of the flowers on my new stencil PS005 so that I could use Little Black Dress Fresco in the tiny dotty centre and then repositioned the tape to protect the dots from the Chalk that I used for the petals.
I watered down some Chartreuse and using a wide brush, painted a wash over everything before stencilling my first layer of images. I should have seen the warning signs at this point, I should have trusted my gut feeling. Basically, I wasn't loving the colour combo, but because I had had this idea in my head, I was determined to see it through. So as it stands, I have Chartreuse in the background, Amethyst and Dusty Teal for the stencilled images. I used PS002 for the leafy thingy which is one of my stencils and the other images are from one of Jo's PS007. I dry brushed some Dusty Teal around the edges to see if it would look more balanced. Kind of felt that that didn't work too well either
In an effort to make the colours work better, instead of fighting with the background colour, I used
Dolly mix on top of the Amethyst, nudging the stencil just a smidgen from it's original position, to create a shadow.
I repeated this process with the small flowers from PS008 to fill a gap at the bottom of the board.
You can see from this photo that the Chartreuse is too citrus for the other colours and now the flowers are too pale......not intending to give up, I decided to add some shading to the flowers, so a little bit of Amethyst over the Dolly Mix seemed to help a little bit.
Another idea popped into my head....why not paint over the Chartreuse to see if it could be toned done a little bit? I watered down some Tikka and I think you can see that this picture shows that it made quite a bit of difference.
I also used some Amethyst to paint over the Dusty Teal edges and felt that that helped too.
Finally I felt that I was getting somewhere.
I added some faux stitching to all the edges of the fabric pieces and stamped some script on the petals of some of the flowers.
A few added embellishments to finish up.....I found a shabby looking dimensional flower that was just the right size and stamped a quote from ELB06. When it was cut into sections, I was able to position them to fill the gaps. I am happy with the layout but not the background. Although it is a bit more orangy than this picture shows, I would not do it this way again. I think next time, I would water down some of the Chalk paint and whitewash over it.....that usually fixes most problems.
So there you have it, things don't always go according to plan for me. Many people have not really believed me when I have said that things go wrong for me too.
Think I might just take my black pen and do some doodling around these leaves, then I need to step away and leave it alone!!!!!
Finally, I just wanted to plug my own classes again. All the classes at The Bead Scene are now sold out with the exception of this Saturday when I have one remaining place available. If you fancy joining me and a bunch of very friendly ladies to make this cute little mini book, filled with all the new Lynne Perrella images, then simply click here for all the details.