I have been such a bad blogger again lately. In all honesty, I really haven't felt at all creative these past few weeks but this bank holiday weekend may just have put me back on track. A group of lovely, crafty friends gathered at my house for two days of creativity. My kitchen became an art studio and a lot of fun was had by all, including my little doggie Meg. Everyone seemed to take a shine to her and she kind of stole the show a bit. Emma and Sam took it in turns to take her out in the garden for a mad five minutes on numerous occasions and now she is seriously missing their company and attention.
I was so busy that I didn't take any photos all weekend, so I have stolen a few from Sam and Helen's blogs (I hope they don't mind!!!) where you can read the full round up of events .
So the last two days left me itching to get back into my studio and after months of renovations and decorating, I thought it might be quite nice to make a few things for my new bedroom.
I found a small display unit that has been sitting in my "waiting to be altered " stash and gave it two coats of Fresco paint. The first colour was a custom mix of Snowflake, Vanilla and Vintage Lace to create a nice neutral cream colour, then I dry brushed some Space Cadet around the edges. I found the piece of fabric in my ever growing stash that is just the right colour and used a piece in each section to make a change from using paper.
I had an idea in my head to hang things in each of the niches and to try and keep it simple for a change. After searching through my stash of found/collected/scavenged objects, I decided that I might need to alter the few pieces that I had selected. This cameo was the perfect shape and size but completely the wrong colour but that isn't a problem at all as Fresco paint seems to work on pretty much any surface, so I set about changing the colour.
Although this gold crown is not exactly the wrong colour, it was way too shiny for my shabby looking project so I decided to alter this too.
I'm really pleased with the way they look now. A touch of Brass Treasure Gold over the Space Cadet paint worked perfectly with my colour scheme.
I added a few more bits and pieces which I think are mainly from Prima and decided that the project didn't really need anything else. This only took a couple of hours which is amazing for me, normally I would have spent all day just searching for the right components!!
Here's a little close up of one of the niches.