Saturday 19 April 2014

A day in the studio

Yesterday, I spent a very happy day playing around in my studio. With all the recent family celebrations, it was a gentle reminder of how important family is to me. Both my parents are not enjoying the best of health at the moment so I thought I would make something that included an old photo of my Mum. I think she was about 18 in this photo, already married to my Dad as he was in the army and off to Hong Kong. I love this photo, I love her dress, her hair style and she really looks like my late Grandmother.


I started with this fabulous burlap panel that I bought from the PaperArtsy guys at Ally Pally last week.


I thought I would make an Anna Dabrowska style piece that I can hang in my bedroom as we are redecorating at the moment. I started by brushing a patchy layer of Stone Fresco Finish paint over most of the panel.


I wanted some texture on the panel so I scraped some Grunge Paste through one of Donna Downey's floral stencils. Then I positioned my other stencil and masked off the bits I didn't want before adding more Grunge Paste.


I also used a palette knife to randomly scrape more Grunge Paste on the panel to fill in a few gaps and then started arranging stuff on it. I find it really helpful to take photos of the layout I like as I can never remember where things were when it comes to the gluing stage!!!


I did paint some of the items before sticking them down with a heavy body gel medium and I also painted the whole panel again with Stone Fresco to blend in the Grunge Paste. I even painted those gorgeous velvet flowers which I've had in my stash for some considerable time. There's also a lot of Classic Treasure Gold on this project too, it really brings everything to life.


Oops, that's my finger in this picture!!!! I love how this project has turned out. The only downside is that my printer has run out of ink and I don't want to use the original photo of my Mum, but that cute little frame shown at the top of the post is destined to on top of the memories banner.


Here are a few close up shots of some of the other areas.




I hope you all have a fabulous Easter weekend.......don't eat too much chocolate!!!

Lin x

25 comments:

Deborah Wainwright said...

Wow really love this, all of it. The colours you have used are fantastic. I love the idea of your mum's photo being on there, she will add elegance to a beautiful piece of art x

Helen said...

Thats gorgeous Lin! It will make a great memory to display.

Etsuko said...

Oh! Beautiful panel and great idea, colours, textures and many embellishments are so gorgeous. looks like everything will be turn to treasures by your magical hands. I love your works. xx

craftimamma said...

Stunning panel Lin and perfect to compliment the lovely photo of your Mum. I have one of my Mum when she was 16 that I love so you have given me an idea, thank you! Obviously I can see Anna's influence but you have definitely made this is your own style which is always beautiful!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Hazel Agnew said...

Wow Lin, it's so beautiful. Just the right balance of art and elegance. Your lovely photo will be so at home on there. Thankyou for once again inspiring me. X

Sue Abbott said...

Speechless........just beautiful, justlike your Mum in the photo xxx

Unknown said...

Really beautiful Lin. Hope we get to see it with the picture added xx

Words and Pictures said...

So, so beautiful - wonderful way to celebrate your love for your family.
Alison x

Carol said...

STUNNING!! Wishing you and yours a Happy Easter - hope parents health improves/stabilizes xx

Ruth said...

Just stunning, I could look at your artwork for hours, all the little details, it just goes together beautifully. Very inspiring, thank you x

Lily Chi said...

Absolutely stunning piece Lin. Beyond gorgeous!
Great that your shoulder is "well enough" to allow you to play xx

Anonymous said...

Truly beautiful Lin. Sue C x

Daniele said...

stunning piece of art
best wishes

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is beautiful, Lin, I love the use of the stone fresco,

Lucy x

Julie Lee said...

This is so subtle and elegant. Your work is just exquisite. It always looks perfectly balanced and eye-catching. Thank you so much for sharing such a treasure. Julie Ann xxx

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning. TFS Hugz

sam21ski said...

Totally stunning, great keepsake

Sam xx

PetraB said...

Ah, you can never eat too much chocolate:-) your panel is stunning. Happy Easter!

Diane D. said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Now I want to make one. Thanks for all your inspiration.

Palemoon4 said...

Absolutely one of the most gorgeous and inspiring layouts I have seen online. Truly enjoyed going through the steps of you creating this stunner lo. I want to make some of those gorgeous flowers you have on it too. :) Happy Easter to you as well.

finnella03 said...

That is really great. Lots of great ideas. Have a lovely Easter too.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely, Lin! I think that photo of your Mother is gorgeous, too, and it's going to look terrific on the canvas in its little frame.
Easter Sunday! Ha ha - I'm "allowed" to eat Easter eggs all day long!!!!!! . . . . and you know I will!!!
Lots of love - Sally xo

Lin said...

Oh Lin this is absolutely gorgeous!! The detail in it is fantastic and the colours are beautifil. The piccie of your mum in that lovely frame will just finish it off beautifully xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Lin, I hope you're having a lovely day so far. Your canvas is completely stunning & that photo of your gorgeous mum is perfect for it.

selena said...

j adore c'est magnifique!