I'm stuck at home today waiting for the window engineer to arrive. Two of our double glazed windows have blown and luckily they are under guarantee so will hopefully be replaced. While I'm waiting, I thought I'd share a project with you that I've been working on for some time. It's been a project that I have thoroughly enjoyed, mainly because it wasn't hurried and I've worked on it in between other projects and commitments. It just needs mounting on to the green and white polka dot fabric and then it's job done!
This project is hugely inspired by the very lovely and super talented Beryl Taylor. I have been extremely lucky and was able to take part in one of Beryl's classes last year. She taught us some of her fabulous techniques which were combined together in a fabric book. I enjoyed the process so much that I thought I would make something similar but on a larger scale. During the process of making the first three pages, I liked them so much, I decided that I wasn't going to hide them away in a book, but actually make them into a wall hanging.
The panels are made up of a mixture of printed shop bought fabrics and fabric that I have either dyed or stencilled myself using quite a variety of paints and texture mediums.
It was also a great way to use up little scraps of lace and bindings that were not large enough for major projects in their own right.
Beryl introduced me to the art of incorporating sheer fabrics into my work and this has become one of my favourite things to do.
This piece is not entirely made out of fabric. If you squint at the screen or enlarge the photo, you'll notice that there is a dictionary page lurking underneath that texture paste, which has been highlighted with Treasure Gold.
I love how this panel turned out (apart from the wrinkly book page). There's some hand dyed lace and silk in there along with some handmade paper.
Here's a close up of some vintage lace that I found....it was just perfect for this project.
Close up of some of the handmade (not by me though) paper with some texture paste.
So there we have it. It's taken about three months to make and I'm just waiting for Mark to cut some wood for me to mount it on then I'll be able to hang it.