Monday 8 December 2014

What's been going on

Well although my blog has been quiet, I have been really quite busy. As well as finishing my Christmas gift shopping (don't think I've ever managed to do that by December 8th before), I've made a few Christmas cards......I haven't made any for about six years, so I'm very pleased about that.

I'm proper giddy about the new secret stuff that I've been working on for PaperArtsy. I know that's really mean to even mention it when I can't share it with you yet, but all I will say is that I think you'll be surprised, it's all very different from my usual style.

I did manage to find a bit of time last Saturday for a bit of a play session with my encaustic paint and wax supplies. This is so much fun as I really have no idea what I'm doing so it's a real learning curve. Everything is really quite unpredictable and for me, that's part of the appeal, not really knowing what I'm going to end up with.

The first one is a mix of wax and Pan Pastels with a few rub ons to fill in some gaps.


This one is simply wax, pasted over a collage with some mosaic tiles embedded into the wax.


The final one really surprised me. I painted half green and half blue wax onto my prepared board. I scraped some shavings from a white Art Bar on the surface and tried to fuse it with my heat gun. I'm thinking that the two types of wax are completely incompatible and that the melting point of the Art Bars is far higher than my R & F wax. It just looked like I'd sprinkled sugar on the top, so I decided to paint a layer of white wax over it and start again. When I fused this layer, the magic started to happen, the blue and green wax started to bubble through my white layer where the speckles of Art Bar were.....I'm liking the effect but who knows if I'll ever be able to recreate it again.


In other news, I'm starting to think about what I'll be doing next year. I have a few things pencilled in my diary but one new thing that I'm excited about is that I will be teaching a two day class at 
Art Van Go in Knebworth next may. I'll let you know when I have more details but if you fancy having a dabble with metal embossing, keep the 19th & 20th May 2015 free.

Well, that's pretty much all my news....well, the stuff I can tell you about that is. I'm off to scour tinternet now, I need new storage for my studio, all my shelving is now overflowing......I feel a refit is on the horizon.....poor Mark!!


12 comments:

Helen said...

Can't wait to see these properly pm the computer- they look fab! Looking forward to all the secrets being revealed!

Julie Lee said...

This is an exciting post! I'm so eager to see the new things you've been working on. I'm intrigued to see the 'new look'! I love the effects you've achieved with the wax; it is so very pretty! xx

Hazel Agnew said...

Exciting stuff Lin. Talented lady! Xx

Lin said...

wow Lin these are gorgeous!!! I think I see another idea for a future class coming on lol x

finnella03 said...

Lovely to hear what we can hear, and lovely work, now do you fancy coming to do my Christmas shopping? Lol

craftimamma said...

Oh my Lin, these are stunning and I'm with the other Lin all the way, lol!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

selena said...

magnifique!

yoursartfully said...

I'm not sure that. I will be able to teach this as a class Lin as you need to have good ventilation in the room. You melt the coloured waxes on a hot plate and it generates a lot of fumes :(

Daniele said...

sounds like you have a few bits n bobs up your sleeve, haven't done metal art for ages and the class sounds really tempting, looking forward to hearing more details of all things new
hugs x

Etsuko said...

The third is more interest effect, It seem to have more potential. I'm looking forward your fabulous attempt xxx

Kirsten said...

Loving your encaustic projects!

froebelsternchen said...

Fabulous and artsy as always Lin