Thursday, 2 August 2012
And more paint!
Thought I would share the second project that I made on Wednesday and yes, I know it's more paint (Fresco Finish Paint) and yes, I did use PaperArtsy stamps again but they are the things I love. The paint is just so versatile, I can do so much more with a bottle of paint than I can with an ink pad! Having said that, it has taken me many years to realise this but there is no way on earth, I could produce something like this project with ink. Paint allows me to put down many layers which makes the project very interesting to look at as well as to make.
PaperArtsy botanical minis on five small individual pieces of calico with Rangers Archival Jet Black ink and heat set them all. I watered down some paint and used them like watercolours to paint in the images and heat set them again.
As I had five pieces of fabric and decided to paint two of them with Beach Hut, two with Hey Pesto and the last one with Pumpkin Soup. Again, the paint was watered down and I applied a wash of colour around the painted image and allowed the colour to just flood over the rest of the fabric. After heat setting again, I added another layer of paint around the edges for a shaded effect.
I took some masking tape, tore it into strips and applied it randomly over over my image so that I could stamp some script and splatters on the fabric without stamping on the flowers.
Instead of stamping a background on this one, I sponged some paint through some sequin waste.
For the third panel, I sponged some paint through a stencil as well as stamping some script and I think this is probably my favourite panel.
The fourth panel is a repeat of panel two.
The fifth panel is a repeat of panel one.
My background has two layers. I took a sheet of Claudine Hellmuth's sticky backed canvas and applied three/four layers of paint, drying each layer before applying the next. I sponged some paint through a selection of Crafters Workshop stencils and dried this before adding another layer of paint to edge the piece. Once this was dry, I stitched all my panels to the canvas with my sewing machine.
My canvas was mounted on a piece of greyboard that I covered with Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap which also had the paint treatment.
I added a few embellishments to finish off the piece which also had a touch of paint so they were in keeping with the muted look of the whole piece.
This post has taken me ages to type as the swimming has more of my attention than my laptop!!! Also been watching some re-runs of todays events.......way to go team GB.....you did great today!